As an advocate for a diverse Cambridge, I am hoping you can take action this week to support the creation of more affordable housing in Central Square.
Last November, Normandy Partners/Twining Properties submitted a zoning petition to create a higher-density, mixed-income and mixed-use zoning district near Mass Ave. and Main St. in Central Square. While A Better Cambridge expressed our support for key elements of the proposal, we called on Normandy/Twining to increase the number of affordable units in the project to 20%.
Our advocacy worked, and last week Normandy/Twining announced that they would increase the affordable housing percentage to 20%. This includes 17% of all units for low-income families and 3% for middle-income families. In total, this means 47 new permanently affordable and privately subsidized housing units could be built in Cambridge.
Now we need you to take action to make sure this affordable housing is built!
Attend this Wednesday's City Council Ordinance Committee hearing to publicly testify in support of this proposal:
- Wednesday, 4/1 at 4:00 P.M. in the Sullivan Chambers at Cambridge City Hall
- If you cannot attend the meeting on Wednesday, email the Ordinance Committee beforehand to let them know about your support for this proposal. Even if you can attend, consider sending an email to reinforce your support:
Finally, I invite you to join us for the next ABC general meeting this Thursday to hear about other opportunities to be involved with our advocacy work:
- Thursday, 4/2 at 7:00 P.M. at the Cambridge YWCA. Please click here for more information and to RSVP.
I hope to see you this week!
Late last week I emailed to remind you about this evening's Planning Board hearing on the Normandy/Twining proposal for Central Square.
Again, I encourage you to take time this evening to attend the meeting and let the Planning Board members know that Cambridge residents support higher density development that bring more affordable and family housing, local business opportunities, and innovative parking solution to Central Square:
- Planning Board: Tuesday, 2/24 at 7:00 P.M. in the Second Floor Meeting room at 344 Broadway
- If you cannot attend the meeting, email the Planning Board by Tuesday to register your support for this proposal. Even if you can attend, consider sending an email to reinforce your support:
- Address to Chairman Theodore Cohen and send it to email@example.com who will pass it along to the Chairman and other Planning Board members.
In addition to tonight's Planning Board hearing, the City Council Ordinance Committee will meet on Thursday, to receive public comment on the Normandy/Twining proposal. It is important to make your voice heard at this meeting because the severe weather in February made the process exceed the statutory time frame, making the original hearing no longer count:
- City Council Ordinance Committee: Thursday, 2/26 at 5:30 P.M. in the School Committee meeting room at CRLS - 459 Broadway
- If you cannot attend the meeting, email the Ordinance Committee by Thursday to register your support. Even if you can attend, consider sending an email to reinforce your message:
- Address to Vice Mayor Benzan and Councilor Carlone, Co-Chairmen of the Ordinance Committee - be sure to email firstname.lastname@example.org AND City Clerk email@example.com to get your message on the official record.
Thanks for your continued support.